Health & Public Benefits

Kern Health Consumer Center

Kern Health Consumer Center (KHCC) provides no-cost assistance for Kern County residents with problems with Medi-Cal, Medicare, Covered California, Kern Medical Center health plans, and private insurance plans.

KHCC advocates and attorneys may help you appeal eligibility denials; file a complaint or grievance with your health plan; challenge a denial of services from your doctor or health plan; deal with billing or affordability problems; and overcome problems accessing services because of language barriers, disability, geographic location, or appointment wait-times.

Call to APPLY for assistance today, 661-321-3982

Public Benefits Unit

The Public Benefits Unit provides assistance regarding denials, reductions, terminations, and over-payments of public benefits including CalWORKs (welfare/cash aid), CalFresh (food stamps), General Assistance, In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).

Assistance may include giving counsel and advice, completing appeal forms, obtaining health and benefits records, and representing at hearings.