Mobilehome Advocacy Project

Mobilehome Residency Law

Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) is the “landlord-tenant law” for mobilehome parks and regulates the landlord-tenant relationship between mobilehome park owners (landlord/management) and mobilehome owners (“homeowners.”)

The MRL covers a wide range of topics such as the terms of rental agreements, park management, sales, transfers, termination of tenancies, and enforcement of mobilehome resident rights.

The MRL does not apply to tenants who rent a mobilehome from a homeowner or park management.

MRL is found in the California Civil Code under Chapter 2.5.

What is the difference between an “owner” and a “resident?”

A mobilehome “owner” owns the mobilehome unit and has a rental agreement with park management for the land on which the unit is located.

Residents (including a homeowner) is any person that legally occupies a mobilehome unit.

MRL only applies to mobilehome owners.

What is the Mobilehome Assistance Center?

The Mobilehome Assistance Center is a program of the California Department of Housing and Community Development and assists the public in resolving complaints related to mobilehomes and mobilehome parks, and general problems under the MRL related with:

  • The operation of mobilehome parks related to health and safety matters.
  • The purchase, sale, financing, titling, and registration of manufactured homes and mobilehomes.
  • The installation, inspection, and maintenance or alteration of manufactured homes, mobilehome accessory structures, and park grounds.

The Mobilehome Assistance Center cannot arbitrate, mediate, negotiate, or provide legal advice on mobilehome park rent disputes, rental agreements, or disputes arising from rental agreements.

GBLA Services

The Mobilehome Advocacy Project dedicates services to preventing homelessness by ensuring residents of mobile home parks are protected from common housing violations such as illegal grounds for eviction, improper notices of rent increases, and other common violations.

Services include counsel, advice, brief service, and/or direct representation to low-income mobilehome residents in pre-eviction or eviction disputes.

The project also presents workshops to increase awareness of residents’ rights and Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) to mobile home residents and other stakeholders who provide services to the low-income community.

Service Area

GBLA provides services for mobilehome owners in Bakersfield, Arvin, California City, Maricopa, Ridgecrest, Taft, Tehachapi, and all unincorporated communities.

Our service area does not include Delano, McFarland, Shafter, Wasco, or unincorporated communities north of 7th Standard Road and west of State Hwy 65. California Rural Legal Assistance services these areas.

Copy of MobilehomeAdvocacyProject_2023_Eng

Additional Resources:

CA Department of Housing and Community Development(800)-952-8356

Landlord Tenant Assistance Center

(661) 868-4660
1415 Truxtun Ave.
Bakersfield, CA 93301

Bakersfield Code Enforcement

1715 Chester Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93301

Kern County Code Enforcement

(661) 862-8603
2700 M St #350,
Bakersfield, CA 93301

Mobilehome Park Home Owners Allegiance

CA Mobilehome Assistance Center


 Disaster Relief Resources:

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)           

FEMA responds to all declared domestic disasters and emergencies, whether natural or man-made. FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial and direct services to eligible individuals and households affected by a disaster with uninsured or under-insured necessary expenses and serious needs.

Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA)

FHFA ensures that Federal Banks and Home Loan Banks operate in a safe and sound manner so that they serve as a reliable source of funding for housing finance and community investment.

 National Manufactured Home Owners Association (NMHOA)

The mission of the National Manufactured Home Owners Association is to promote, represent, preserve, and enhance the rights and interests of manufactured home-owners throughout the United States.

American Red Cross

The American Red Cross mobilizes volunteers and donors to: 1) extend relief and help to the victims of any calamity – fire, flood, famine, earthquakes, etc., 2) procure and supply blood for the victims of war and other calamities, and 3) extend all possible first-aid in an accident.

California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (OES)

Cal OES serves as the state’s leadership hub during all major emergencies and disasters. This includes responding, directing, and coordinating state and federal resources and mutual aid assets across all regions to support the diverse communities across the state.