Long Term Care Ombudsman Project
Open until filled
Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) offers advocacy and assistance to seniors and dependent adults; clients are residents in long-term care facilities within the Kern County Area. Services are provided by Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance (GBLA) staff and volunteers certified by the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman.
The coordinator must ensure that the interests of volunteers are served and that the LTCOP remains well staffed. They will coordinate and schedule volunteers on an ongoing basis or organize single events. The Coordinator must also maintain communication with existing volunteers. Since volunteers are usually unpaid and their services greatly contribute to an organization’s functions, it is important that they feel appreciated and stay informed.
Coordinator will work to actively recruit volunteers for the LTCOP. They may reach out to established volunteers or seek new help using various marketing tools, including volunteer databases, e-mail letters, and outreach events.
Coordinator must be detail-oriented and organized, since they will work on many projects at once. Outgoing and able to communicate effectively with a variety of people, and must adhere to the values of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, and convey its purpose to others. Coordinator is responsible to assist with the supervision and coordination of cases, and assign to volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two (2) years’ of relevant work experience; or other combination of education and two (2) years’ work experience that demonstrates the necessary skills to meet the duties and responsibilities of the position
- Experience in recruiting, screening, training and retaining volunteers.
- Ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities
- Must be able to interview effectively in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
- Ability to recognize, communicate and document crisis situations
- Proficiency in MS applications (Windows, Word, and Excel).
- Must have a valid California Driver’s License, automobile insurance and reliable transportation
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), desirable.
Staff Attorney II – Position will remain open until filled
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. (GBLA) is currently seeking a Staff Attorney to provide civil legal representation in one or more areas of the firm’s priorities and monitor developments and initiate projects in other areas of importance to low-income clients. Staff Attorneys use the full range of potential forums to address relevant issues for our clients including all aspects of litigation; including but not limited to court hearings, trials, appellate and federal court representation. In addition to serving clients directly, Staff Attorneys also have the opportunity to expand access to justice through varied activities such as community legal education, outreach and training, and collaboration with community and client groups as well as other government and non-government agencies.
The ideal candidate will have civil litigation experience and a strong motivation to represent people of low-income and to explore creative solutions to problems faced by our client population. Other qualifications include:
- Active membership in the State Bar of California or member of the Bar of another state and willing to take the California Bar at the next available opportunity
- Minimum of three (3) years of civil litigation
- Strong written and communication skills
- Must be computer literate
- Strong motivation to represent people of low income
- High degree of initiative and willingness to work collaboratively with others
- Must have excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Bilingual fluency in English/Spanish desirable
The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities include:
- Client representation ranging from counsel advise to direct representation
- Heavy client interaction including interviewing and issue spotting
- Possible assistance in the training and supervision of paralegals and other support staff
- Implementing and monitoring of assigned project(s) goals and objectives to assure positive outcomes
Director of Litigation – Position will remain open until filled
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. (GBLA) seeks experienced applicants for its Director of Litigation position. Under general direction, the Director of Litigation is responsible for the development, supervision, and coordination of substantive legal work of Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. (GBLA); maximizes the quality of the legal product through individual litigation efforts, effective co-counseling with other GBLA attorneys or outside pro bono counsel, and development and implementation of training plans for attorneys, paralegals, and other program staff of GBLA; carries an active caseload involving complex factual and legal issues
- Active membership in the California State Bar and have minimum 8 years of experience as a practicing attorney with proven civil litigation experience
- Experience working in legal services preferred
- Cultural and linguistic competency in working with low-income communities a strong plus
- Have the ability to travel to locations outside of the regular office to perform necessary legal services
- Ability to plan, staff, and direct a diverse work force
- Have thorough knowledge of the principals of law, trial and appellate procedure, and their application
- Ability to analyze difficult and complex legal problems
- Ability to perform legal research and apply legal principles
- Ability to present statements of fact, law, and argument clearly and logically, both in written and oral form
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others, including other members of the legal profession and general public
- Knowledge of basic computer applications.
- Develop and coordinate system for supervising legal work, professional development and training of attorneys, paralegals, and other program staff.
- Directs, trains, and evaluates performance of attorneys, paralegals and other staff.
- Recommends staf attorney assignments and makes routine case assignments as needed.
- Assist and mentor less experienced attorneys in trial preparation and development of expertise.
- Assist and supervise GBLA attorneys in developing impact litigation and other strategies to ameliorate problems faced by GBLA’s low-income clients.
- Assists project supervising attorneys to ensure grant deliverables are met.
- Participates in hiring of GBLA attorneys, paralegals and other program staff.
- Maintains an active caseload involving complex litigation.
- Develops and fosters collaborative relationships with local, state, and federal agencies, other legal services providers and law firms.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director
Salary DOE. Generous benefit package includes paid vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurances. Also includes twelve paid holidays.
Submit Cover Letter, Legal Writing Sample, Resume, and Three Professional References to:
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc.
615 California Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93304
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer